Posted on 10-05-2011
Have you noticed that everyone is starting to get sick? How about yourself? This is the time to implement some simple strategies to protect yourself from all of the viruses that show up starting in the fall. Here are some naturopathic tips to stay well this season:
- Wash your hands frequently with warm, soapy water.
- Wipe down door knobs, phones, remotes and keyboards with antiseptic wipes.
- Get your flu shot (this is usually a good idea for most people who do not have an IgE egg allergy). If you choose not to; keep olive leaf extract around as it is a good antiviral if needed.
- Do not eat ice cream or other combinations of dairy & sugar (especially the cold versions like ice cream, sweetened yogurts, cheesecake, etc).
- Cut way down on sugar intake, since sugar depresses immune function.
- Eat healthly fats: Avocados, olive oil, fish oil, flax oil, grapeseed oil, fish, meats, nuts & seeds.
- Take immune-supportive supplements such as vitamin A, zinc, vitamin D, and extra vitamin C every day.
- Keep a really good immune-support formula around in case you start getting sick or run down. My favorite is EHB, which we carry at Eastside Family Chiropractic & Wellness. My second favorite, or good to be used with EHB, is olive leaf extract which has strong anti-viral activity.
- Don't forget the kids: Be sure they get a good multi and extra vitamin D and C each day. Thymactiv liquid is the most effective immune support formula we have for kids, so keep it handy. Give it to them if you think they are starting to get sick and throughout any illness.
- Drink plenty of warm herbal teas throughout the day when the weather is cold; this helps your immune system by keeping your body warm so energy can go into fighting off "bugs".
Stay well this season!!
Leslie DeGasparis, ND